Friday 17 February 2012

give me a sign..

Wow what an interesting couple of weeks it has been, following the signs... seems very deep, but actually its not that profound and just a bit of an experiment.
 
 
As I mentioned briefly last post, I decided to apply a theme or restriction to performing and filming, just to mix it up and make it a little more interesting. So for this upload I decided that I must dance in a space which features a sign/symbol.
 
 
Having this constant of including a particular component to the performance was at first a little dull, struggling to find interesting sites or spaces that incorporate signs to which I could directly relate and integrate into my physicality. Starting with basic road signs (boring!!!) I was then able to diversify a little to include sites that are unique to the place where I am, Mt. Panorama for example, which was too much fun, starting in poll position. :) Also enjoyed using my daily activities to continue to influence the filming, I found myself drawn to notice the signs around me and reflecting on how they might influence me in performance. It's funny how much you don't notice until you actually pay attention. The 'for sale' sign was also a highlight, finding my voice with this one which actually was quite surprising, though the postie thought I was on crack it think, holding an auction to a cluster of wheelie bins!!
 
 
I would love to actively try to be a bit more brave with including sites that are quite busy, and have the potential for more interaction with the space, but also people moving through or utilising that space. I must admit I was a little off-put with the filming of 'Detour ahead' sign in down town Bathurst as I was yelled at quite aggressively by a group of teens hanging out the window of their car. In general people are quite indifferent though and often times just ignore or try and go about their business. A happy medium between ignorance and abuse would be ideal... but that goes with the nature of it, the unpredictability of the situation.


So here is Day 103 to 121, the sign- post.

 

Up next... I'm attempting to film at the exact same time every day wherever I am, whatever I'm doing. Strangely excited about this challenge, as I must be strict and honest with myself, even if I find I'm in the most uninspiring space, how can I make it something worth doing and worth watching???

More on this soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment